The Parish Council consists of 5 councillors and the Parish Clerk. It meets four times a year and held it's first meeting on 4th December 1894.
Kirkby Underwood is a small village approximately 2 miles west of the A15, 6 miles north of Bourne. The village has about 200 inhabitants and approximately 90 houses. The parish covers just less than 1,100 acres, mainly farmland and woods surrounding the village. The name comes from the Old Scandinavian kirkju+by, meaning "village with a church". "Underwood" has been added to differentiate it from the other Kirkby villages and hamlets in Lincolnshire.
[A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991]